Saturday, January 7, 2012

Cloth diapering

Des hates being wet.. at all.

He screams as soon as his diaper (disposable) is even slightly wet. We tried cloth on his one evening, and it lasted almost ten minutes.. he screamed.. I changed him.. *ten minutes goes by* He screams, I change him... lather, rinse, repeat.

now, here is my dilemma. I have this awesome baby, who is very calm about 90% of the time. He doesn't fuss when passed around to our family members, he is quiet and calm and happy unless he's hungry and then he's *MISERABLE* until he's well fed. So, do I take my lovely calm baby and try the following options:
- Stick cloth diapers on him until he's used to being a little wet?
- Stick him in cloth, and change him every ten minutes (this would mean doing a load of laundry every two hours or even more frequently, or spending more money for more liners)
- Wait for another month or so, until he isn't peeing quite so frequently?
- Use up the rest of the disposables we have on hand, and just deal with cloth diapering as soon as that happens?

I absolutely love the idea of cloth diapering. Working in a toddler room, I've had the opportunity to try out tons of different kinds of cloth diapering systems. Prefolds, inserts, liners.. all in ones, covers.. some are easier than others, some are just a pain in the ass. My absolute favourite by leaps and bounds are Best Bottom Diapers. There are cute designs, and a snap system that makes it so simple. I bought 6 covers, and about 20 liners in 2 sizes to get me started.

I bought all of them from The cloth diaper shop and while shopping for diapers, I bought some wipe solution, and a few wet bags... The site is awesome, and I'm fighting the urge to buy one of everything in every colour/scent.

I think I may just have to use up the disposables we have and suck it up. He did not enjoy


My usually calm and lovely baby in a cloth diaper for the first time.

1 comment:

Jessica said...

Wait a little bit 'til he's not peeing every ten minutes. It'll save you all some aggravation.